Time Line of St. James
1856 - Settlement started by the mouth of the Bow Creek called St. James
- First home at St. James was a dug out called the Arcade
1857 - St. James is designated the first town in Cedar County by Nebr. territorial legislature
- St. James is designated permanent seat of Cedar County on Feb. 12
- St. James is surveyed consisting of 640 acres
- In spring of 1857 Marshall Townsley built a log frame house also used as the first hotel in the area
- First Cedar County Court House built at St. James for $2000
1858 - Col. CC Van built a saw mill 1 mile east of St. James
- Erastus Meech opened a store in St. James he was the first postmaster
1859 - First Blacksmith shop started
- Moses Deming opened a store and was appointed postmaster that year
- First political speech in St. James was made by J. Sterling Morton, democratic candidate for territorial delegate to congress
1861 - First school taught by Miss Bell Hay (Mrs. O. D. Smith)
1863 - Wiseman Massacre. Five children of Hensen & Phoebe Wiseman were massacred by Indians in July
1864 - "Great Stampede" St. James court house is used as a refuge against Indian attacks
- Fort Jackson started. A military post formed just outside of St. James, Company B of the 7th Iowa Calvary were sent to protect settlers from Indian attacks.
- Flour mill started approximately 1 1/2 miles south of St. James.
1868 - Bow Valley mill built. After being a partner with Hoese for 2 years, L. E. Jones left and started the Bow Valley mill.
1868-1869 - St. James moved to its second site
1869 - W. L. Dickenson family moved to St. James and ran the "Dickenson Hotel"
1870 - Gregor McGregor started a blacksmith shop. He made the St. James canon.
1872 - Dr. H. E. McKenzie, pioneer physician arrived at St. James.
- School built at St. James
1874 - First fair in county was held in St. James.
- St. James public cemetery laid out. Later known as the Bow Valley cemetery and the Wynot Public cemetery.
1875 - St. James canon used on July 4
1875 - 1876 - First attempt to get rail service to St. James
1881 - The "Great Flood" 200 people are sheltered at St. James
1901 - Modern Woodman Picnic- 5,000 attended
1904 - Sts. Philip & James church built at St. James
1906 - Second attempt to get rail service
1907 - Railroad by passes St. James and forms Wynot
1907 - 1908 - Many St. James businesses went to the new railroad terminal, Wynot.
- The Catholic community stayed at St. James, since the Church, priest house and cemetery was already established